IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME. You have been planning for months, dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's. You might be having a little bit of jitters as your big day approaches. That's totally normal! One way to put some of those nerves at ease is to have a little check list of all the little things that are helpful on your big day, you may not think about. As a former bride and wedding photographer, I have put together a few tips that I have learned over the years!
Before we move into the good stuff I just want to quickly touch on wedding timelines. Some people have a wedding planner that will take care of this, and some do not. If you do not have a wedding planner, make sure you have a clear timeline for your day. I know this may seem a little type A, but seriously, having one will help your day go sooo smoothly. You will already be filled with so many emotions during your big day, there's not need to add to that. Just a quick note for all my couples, I will make a timeline for the day, if one has not been made by a planner.
Now let's get into some good stuff! This day is going to be SO amazing for you. Regardless of what happens, it will be a special, memorable day. Things may or may not pop up throughout your day. Some may be preventable, some may not be. So let's go ahead and focus on the things that we can control. Here are 10 things to help make your day even more epic!
1) FEED YOURSELF. I know this sounds silly, but you will be SO busy. I've seen it time and time again with brides. I, as a bride, made the same mistake. EAT. Assign this job to your mother, maid of honor, sister, whoever! Make sure there are little things you can snack on through out your day. I understand if you don't want to stop and eat this huge meal. You don't need to. Just make sure you are eating small things throughout your day that will help you blood sugar. No one wants a massive headache because their blood sugar is low. That just kills the mood. Also, having low blood sugar increases your stress levels and anxiety. So EAT GIRL! Have trays of little sandwiches, fresh fruit, granola bars, etc. Simple finger foods that will fuel your body and keep you feeling well!
2) HYDRATE. Many brides do not want to drink much because then they will have to use the bathroom a lot. Getting in and out of a dress can be tricky. That is still the better alternative than passing out from dehydration. If you have a summer wedding or are getting married somewhere warm, you most definitely will want to stay hydrated. Staying hydrated also cuts down on stress and anxiety. Fill the getting ready rooms with water bottles. Some venues will do this, others will not. Make sure you know what your venue does. Assign that to someone as well if need be.
3) Chargers. Now this may not seem important in the grand scheme of things. I've been to plenty of weddings though where people needed to be told important information but their phone was dead. Make sure you have plenty of chargers so in the event someone's battery is running low, the problem can be quickly solved.
4) Over the counter meds. The hope is that these will not be needed, however, life can be funny like that. A good thing to have on your wedding day are things like Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Tums, Pepto, allergy meds, etc. You never know who may need it and it can make all the difference!
5) Large bags. It's almost a mystery really. Everyone has all of their items they need for the day sorted and organized upon arrival. As the day gets going, things start to go everywhere. At the end of the day when everyone is going to collect their items it can become chaotic. Some how all the items you had are not fitting into the bags you brought them in. Also, everyone is tired at this point and ready to go home or to the hotel. Many times a friend of family member will collect all of the bride and groom's belongings so they don't have to worry about that. It's so easy just to throw everything into some large bags and worry about later. Everything can be sorted and put away the next day or so.
6) Relaxing shoes. Now some women are brave and want to heel it the entire day. More power to you sister! Just incase your feet cannot stand it anymore, make sure you have something your feet love to wear. That can feel like heaven on Earth by the end of the day!
7) Duck tape. Classy right? I had seen this at a few weddings. At first I thought "what in the world?!", then I got it though. Duck tape has saved the day at many weddings. So have some just incase, you never know if you'll need it or not!
8) An umbrella. Many couple's don't think about this. I didn't and I had an outdoor wedding! Thankfully it stopped well before the ceremony and the weather was absolutely gorgeous the rest of the day! If you're having an indoor wedding, it's smart to have one just incase it does rain and you are going from place to place. If you are planning an outdoor wedding, you can take you chances like me, or have a plan. Either it be a back up plan or have enough umbrella's for wedding party and guests. I've seen this done and it was actually a gorgeous wedding!
9) Extra backs to earrings. This is another thing that is quickly forgotten. Gather the backs from other pairs of earrings if you don't want to buy more. Tell all your bridesmaids to do the same. One less thing to worry about!
10) Now I saved this for last because it's one of my favorite things. An emergency box. One of my sweet bridesmaids passed one on to me. It was passed on to her on her wedding day. Whatever was used just replace at some point then pass on to another bride on their wedding day. Now this is just a fun tradition. You by no means have to do this. Just make sure you have a box with emergency like items in it, incase something pops up. Here is a list of items that are handy to have: bobby pins (and boy do I mean lots of them), hair spray, brushes, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, makeup, tide to go pin, lent roller, dryer sheets, safety pins, extra buttons, sewing kit, Q-tips, cotton balls, makeup remover, tissues (LOTS of tissues), steamer, bug spray, sunscreen, small scissors.
It looks different for each person, but that is a general idea.
Now take a deep breath and just know your day will be made up of a bunch of tiny details. Each detail adds up to create this vibrant, monumental love story!